Re: [CBQ] Roofs on open hoppers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Roofs on open hoppers
From: Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:15:52 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,

Everyone was always thinking of ways to make open hoppers into
grain cars. During the big Russian grain rush of the 70's C&O
had hundreds of plastic roofs made for their use. I can recall
a solid train load of C&EI hoppers with canvas tied down with
ropes. Corn Products at Argo had bought it but for some reason
wanted to continue to unload box cars. The IHB put as many as
they could on the West Pass between Superior and the entrance to
Reynold's Metals. This would be on the Railroad access side of
EMD's plant. With a light coating of snow on the ground I can
remember the rats moving in waves as the locomotive headlight
hit them at night. Think most of it was either eaten or rotted.
At least the cars were gone by spring. Then that track reverted
to it's normal role as a place to store trade in locomotives.

Did I answer your question? No, but it's food for thought.
(That is if you like field corn. It's very hard to digest.)

Russ