Re: [CBQ] Re:Q Hopper Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re:Q Hopper Cars
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:32:07 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill
If you look in the latest Zephyr bottom of page 4 is my O Scale Freight train
with 6 hoppers and a GS Gon.
Problem is not much is made in O Scale in Q so I have to kit bash or just
reletter.  Another problem is few decals in Q but I have found often it is
better to use S scale decals or even some larger HO for the Q.   For my Alum
Hopper I had a special run of black decals done by Champ trouble is the box car
decals are too big in O so I reduced them with my scanner and made my own using
a Decal Kit from Walthers.  That way too I could play around with the fonts and
sizes and get all the fancy lettering.  Course they were in black.  I did a
pair of rebuilt GS Gons like in the data sheets and made my own castings for
the side panels.  Used all three sizes of decals for them and some dry
transfers from CDS
You can use the Atlas 55ton Steel Hopper  Needs a line scratched on the side
because of the two piece side panels  The Composite Hopper and also the GS Gon
Cheaper is the Weaver Composite Hopper and they come in Q  Just have to change
the herald from an oblong one the way it comes to a square one.
sjh