Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2504

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2504
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:44:12 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ,

I understood what you were saying about PFE cars and their routing
until I saw your list of IHB deliveries to Congress Park. Now I am
confused. Why would PFE cars be routed to Council Bluffs on the Q when
there is a IHB/CNW interchange just a few miles north? Who makes that
decision concerning return routing? It would seem that the C&NW
interchange would be more direct to CB. I believe that the Q would have
to switch the cars once more at P. Jct. unless they had a specific
train from Chicago to Council Bluffs. In the late 1950's, the most
common Q/UP interchange would seem to have been Grand Island.

Bill Barber

On Wednesday, August 24, 2005, at 06:05  AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>    Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:52:59 -0500
>    From: Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us>
> Subject: Re: Reefers Question
>
> Paul,
>
> Take this in steps:
>
> 1. AT&SF was the only major road that seldom if ever pooled cars
> with other roads. While with diversions and shipper's selection of
> routings you may see a car here and there it would not be a lot.
> Since AT&SF did have Freight House loadings that needed to go to
> the GN or NP they delivered to Cicero almost every day. Often
> their Freight House loading would be done in SFRD's. Would be
> more likely to see a group moving North than East or West.
>
> 2. The one Eastbound train that I have posted recently was LC70.
> That train originated at South Omaha and was specifically run to
> attract the hanging meat business. While it might have had an
> occasional PFE they would not be common on that train.
>
> 3. Have recently posted list for three IHB to CB&Q deliveries.
> They give a better idea of the mix of initials that normally
> moved.
>
> 4. The solid PFE trains on the SP and UP is largely lore rather
> than data. For the entire Summer and Fall they were pooling with
> just about anyone that had fan type cars except the AT&SF. Just
> looking at the books I have that showed trains on that route the
> car next to the engine is not always a PFE. They used BAR's entire
> fleet for about nine months of every year.
>
> 5. As the trains moved further East the cars got scattered. A CB&Q
> train leaving South Omaha would have a pretty solid block of just
> a few types of meat reefers. On the other hand think about a NKP
> train leaving Hammond headed East. While it may be solid reefers
> they would be a total mix from all the roads that come into Chicago
> from the West.
>
> 6. A caution. When you are talking about PFE cars in the late 60's
> they would only be going East. Westbound they would be rather rare,
> although not entirely missing. Why? PFE made a deal with the Penn
> Central and C&NW to move them West in solid blocks. While the other
> roads continued to get normal business volumes going East the C&NW
> returned most of the empties.
>
> I will type up and post another Eastbound train. This time it will
> not be LC70.
>
> Russ

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12htbspp3/M=362343.6886682.7839641.1493532/D=groups/S=1706043004:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124905638/A=2894350/R=0/SIG=10tj5mr8v/*http://www.globalgiving.com";>Make
 a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects at GlobalGiving</a>.</font>