[CBQ] Re: Roadnames In A 'Q Coal Train

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Roadnames In A 'Q Coal Train
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:54:59 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,
I nave seen pix with Cambria & Indiana hoppers and IC hoppers in the
mix. Sunshine has a nice mini kit for converting the Atlas 2 bay
hopper W/ side sheets that laminate over the existing  de-riveted
side, end braces and new decals. $10.00 at the RPM shows.

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through Personal embarassment"

a --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <sholding@s...> wrote:
> Paul
>
> Often mines were served by more then one road.
> The Q(BN)use to get coal off the Rock Island at Galva from the
south.  Often we would pick it up with an empty coal train headed
west and set it out at Mt. Pleasant for the hospital there
> And why HOPPER cars.  What about GS gons or just regular gons.
Often grain elevators had coal houses where some young deserving
youngster got the chance to unload coal into the house.  Farmers
would bring grain into the elevator and take home coal.  Also
company coal was shipped in gons for unloading at depots along the
way.
> As much could be written on the coal mines north of Beardstown as
John wrote in Bulletin 35  For that matter the same could be said
for the Iowa Coal mines  in a state not noted for coal mining
> sjh

rural branchline "somewhere" in rural Illinois between
Chicago/Galesburg, is that the main reason the branch was originally
put in was to reach a coal seam in the area.  This was the case all
over this area in the early part of the 20th century and the many
mines were served by various railroads criss-crossing this area.

>   Of course, I would ASSume the majority of the hoppers on a CB&Q
branch serving a mine in this part of Illinois would be Burlington,
but I'm wondering if it would be prototypical/plausible or common
for cars from other roads to be in the consist of a coal drag as
well.  If so, are there any road's hoppers that would pretty much
NEVER be seen in the train?

>   Also, would a coal drag come into/leave the branch off the main
as a unit type train from Chicago or other areas of the
state/country, or dribbled in/out of the area on various trains to
be assembled/broken down in the nearest yard to the branch, or a
combination of both?  BTW, era is the latter half of the 1960's if
this matters.

>   Any info on this would be much appreciated and you have my
thanks in advance . . .

>   "Paul (Kossart) - The CB&Q Guy"
>   North Central, IL Area
>   --
>   Proto-Lancing the CB&Q "Illiniwek River-Subdivision-Branch Line"
in the 1960's.
of Service.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hq09a6h/M=362131.6882500.7825259.1493532/D=groups/S=1706043004:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123052087/A=2889190/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy) Welcome to the Sweet
Life - brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>