Re: [CBQ] Re: XAP

To: <CBQ@YahooGroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: XAP
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:36:08 +1200
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Stephen

I'll need time to digest and consider the bulk of your response.
Unfortunately, I don't have any of the articles that you refer to.

 In the meantime, I wonder whether the class number XM-12  (#10380-99)
actually existed, or whether the cars were actually classed as XML-12.  If
there had been an error of a single letter, we would not be looking for
classes XM-8 to XM-11, and that would assist to fill in the gap between
XML-10 and XML-14 (especially if the XM-4C's were originally intended to be
XML-11 as per the diagram I referred to). I admit that these cars are not
identical to 10350-79 that you showed as XML-12 - the difference appearing
to be the steel bulkheads in the lower-numbered cars. But there again, there
was a greater difference between the  XM-4C's and the XM-4/A's.

I'm uncertain as to the requirements for the CB&Q to have classed cars as
"XML" as opposed to "XM".  However, #103680-99 were equipped with the same
equipment - DF belt rails - as 19825-39 (XML-15), 19500-19839 (XML-3A?), and
23600-34 (XML-10), and all were classed as XL for ORER purposes.

One question that has not been previously asked is about the administration
of class numbers - that is, how and by whom classes were allocated. Any
offers?

Rupert