Re: [CBQ] Re: How did the passenger trains make money and other question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: How did the passenger trains make money and other questions? used
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:44:55 -0700
Cc: JSteamernubes@aol.com
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
>I used to commute on the North Coast Limited, Burlington train number 25,
>Saturdays for a weekend in the country at Savanna.  The North Coast
>Limited left
>Chicago at 12:25 p.m., a  few minutes past noon and arrived St. Paul at 7:05
>p.m.  I just checked this in the CB&Q timetable of May-October, 1966, to
>verify.  Perhaps Mr. Harris rode the Mainstreeter, the overnighter,
>combined with
>the Black Hawk and the Western Star, between Chicago and St. Paul.  It
>certainly
>was not the North Coast Limited!
>       Return to Chicago would be on No. 25, the Afternoon Twin Zephyr,
>Sunday evening.  JN
>

>Oops!  Sometimes the keyboard takes on a life of its own.  I would return to
>Chicago on No. 24, the Afternoon Zephyr, and not No. 25.

Oops indeed.

Hmmm... what could it have been? I thought it was the NCL. You must be
right of course. Timetables don't lie. When I was very young (early 1950s)
we always used to take the Black Hawk to visit my grandmother in St. Paul
-- by coach -- my parents were too cheap (or too stoical) to spring for
sleeping accommodations. Must say I never enjoyed those trips too much,
except the dining car, and of course the fact we were on a train, which I
loved. The 1962 (July or August) trip to which I referred in my last
posting was the first time I ever traveled alone, and for some reason I
really wanted to ride the NP. I did it again the following summer wanting
to ride the GN. Maybe it was actually the same train all those times. Oh,
the irony! Did the Western Star or Mainstreeter have dome cars? Sitting up
in the dome as we wound along the Mississippi is something I do remember
clearly, even if the status of my brain is otherwise in doubt.

jonathan