Re: [CBQ] Set-outs Congress Park (previously other subject title)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Set-outs Congress Park (previously other subject title)
From: Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:58:00 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Glen,

Eastbound to the South Wye from MT#3.  There was a hand
crossover from MT#2 to MT#3 just East of Maple Ave for use
when trackwork prevented the use of MT#3. Very seldom
used.

Cut was almost always made at the point of the South Wye
derail. Could walk over and get the derail and then East to
the switch. Rear car HAD to be on Maple Ave crossing in
order to get unlock.  Many crews bottled the air which was
the major reason for derailments at that location. Was
downgrade Eastbound.

Time?  Depended on the crew.  Anything from 10" to 30".
Often #78 or the C&I Pickup would only have one or two cars
of hogs. If there were already cars in there might just give
them a kick and let them roll in.  Have seen setouts made
without taking off the derail.  Have also had to go down there
and find the cut because the head Brakeman lost count.
Unless they had a great many cars or the track looked to be
full this was almost always a blind shove.  Sometimes the
hind end could be seen from the waycar and if they had a
radio could protect that way.  Have seen unit coal trains
shoved in there so fast that they had to big hole the train to
stop. Left any broken knuckles for the IHB to fix.

IHB was supposed to keep the stock on their head end. If they
had to wait for a setout would often switch out the stock and
get it next to their power and then put everything back where
it was and wait for next setout. This made for a rough ride in
whatever form of power they were using but I don't think they
cared.

South Wye would hold about 75 standard reefers. Division of
ownership was at the start of the curve to the South.  At one
time there was an industry track there switched by "Q".

South Wye switch is now CTC.

Anything else?

Russ