[CBQ] Review of 3-Rail O-Gauge CB&Q 0-8-0 Models

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Review of 3-Rail O-Gauge CB&Q 0-8-0 Models
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 20:09:52 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This is an FYI message to CBQlist regarding commercially available 3-
rail O-gauge CB&Q 0-8-0 models. I am not a dealer, vendor, or
manufacturer.

MTH/RailKing released CB&Q #541 0-8-0 in ~2000 and Lionel recently
released CB&Q #543 0-8-0.  Below are my review comments on these 2
die-cast 1/4" scale models.

MTH/RailKing's #541 was (still is ?) available both with RailSounds
(MSRP ~ $400) and without RailSounds (MSRP </= $350).  The lettering
is white on both the loco ("CB&Q" & "541") & tender ("541" on
rear).  The tender herald is red & black with white lettering.  The
cab has molded-in backhead detail with firebox glow.  No figures for
enginer or fireman are included.  The smokebox and firebox are both
a dull gray, while most of the boiler is black with molded-in detail
& piping.  The cab roof is a pleasant oxide red color.  The bell,
whistle, hand rails, and side rods are a shiny silver metal.  The
front (on smokebox) and rear (on rear of tender) headlights have
#541 on both sides.  The "coal" detal in the tender is molded-in.
The ProtoSounds are very good and allow operation with MTH's DCS
control system.  The model runs very well. In addition to the
drawbars, there is a plug-in tether between the loco & tender for
the electronics.

Lionel's #543 is only available with RailSounds (MSRP ~ $650).  The
lettering is goldish-yellow on both the loco
(includes "F1", "CB&Q" , and "543") & tender (includes "8000" (water
capacity?) and "543") on rear).  The tender herald is black & red
with the goldish-yellow lettering.  The cab has molded-in backhead
detail with firebox glow and figures for both enginer & fireman.
The smokebox and firebox are both a silver gray, while most of the
boiler is black with molded-in detail and a good amount of
separately applied piping and detail.  A builders plate is attached
to each side of the smokebox.  The cab roof is a dark tuscan red
color with 2-vents that can be opened and closed.  The bell,
whistle, and steam relief valves on top of the boiler are a brass
colored metal.  The hand rails are black (these also serve as antena
for the RailSounds TMCC control). The side rods are a shiny silver
metal.  The front (on smokebox) headlight has a foward-facing "543"
number plate in black & goldish-yellow.  Both the front and rear (on
rear of tender) headlights have #543 on both sides.  Lionel claims
that actual coal is affixed into the tender. The RailSounds are very
good and allow operation with Lionel's TMCC control system.  The
model runs very well.  The drawbars between the loco & tender also
serve as the tether for the electronics.

In my opinion, both models are very good.  Both have excellent
sounds and run & pull well.  While the Lionel model has more detail
and may be a little closer to the color photos in the Holck and
Spoor books, the extra detail does cost a little more and also makes
the model somewhat more fragile.  With less detail, the MTH model is
a little easier to handle (sometimes I get clumsy with detailed
models and break things off).

To my knowledge, these are the only commercially available 3-rail O-
gauge CB&Q 0-8-0 steam locomotive models.

Now, if MTH, Lionel, or any other O-gague manufacturer would offer a
mineral red or Chinese red wood caboose (er, waycar!) to go with
these 0-8-0 steamers. . . .

Enjoy!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM