[CBQ] The TZ and I, an amusing tale

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] The TZ and I, an amusing tale
From: "Bernie" <trainstuff@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:23:40 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Back in the late '40's, I had begun to travel by myself on the TZ from Chicago
to East Dubuque.  Each year, the day after school ended, I'd be on the TZ on
the way to my Grandparents' farm in NE Iowa.  On one particular trip, I was
using a new suitcase my Dad had purchased.  (I can't remember if I was aware of
the problem locks or not.)  Anyhow, with our usual rapid stop in East D., the
Porter took my luggage down the step -- and it fell open and under the train.
I was a  mortified 9 year old as the Porter, in white uniform, had to crawl
under the train to retreive my clothes, all the while the Conductor was
constantly checking his watch (remember, world time records on the East D.
Prarie du Chein segment).  I imagine the engineer had to really let the train
fly and I vowed to trash the suitcase.  You know, I can still see that Porter
scrambling around under the train -- although now I do it with a smile.

Bernie Lyngdal
trainstuff@verizon.net

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM