[CBQ] Re: Mars Lights

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Mars Lights
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:15:47 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I agree with Russ that the white Mars lights were used at night only.
In the mid '50s, most road freights through Downers Grove used the
white Mars light at night. I specifically recall being able to see the
Mars flash west of Belmont Road long before you could see the actual
train or headlight. I recall one Saturday night in late 1956 at Forest
Ave with my dad. We could see a Mars light flashing beyond Belmont and
speculated whether it could be a steam locomotive (if was during the
last Fall "wheat rush" steam operation). Shortly, we heard her whistle
and sure enough, O-5 #5601 rolled by running "light". As she went by,
we could smell fresh paint burning off the hot surfaces. She had
apparently just been shopped and painted at Galesburg.

Most of the diesel powered road freights and road passenger trains also
used their Mars lights in the suburban territory at night in those days.

BTW, if the Mars light is operating during the day and one photographs
the locomotive, the light may appear off if it is pointing away from
the camera in its revolving cycle.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM