Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2390

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2390
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:42:15 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill,

The two U.P. locomotives (Big Boy #4023 and DDA40X #6900) were not
originally at the station. They were located in a small park, northeast
of downtown adjacent to the airport road and the location of the old
U.P. heavy overhaul shop. Before that, the Big Boy was displayed in
front of the shop with steam coming out of the stack. When the shops
were closed and torn down, the locomotive was relocated to the airport
road park. There was still a U.P. yard adjacent to it. Several years
ago, the city bought the park area and all the near by land for a new
arena. This required the locomotives to be moved. They may have been
stored temporarily near the two depots (U.P. and Q) one of which is a
museum, but there really isn't a good place to display them there. The
move shown in the photos will relocate the two locomotives to a new
park, which I believe is a little west of downtown and adjacent to
Interstate 80.

As a matter of information, across the Missouri River in Council Bluffs
at the C&NW station Museum, there is a          U.P. 4-8-4, a Q 4-6-0
#915 and the Q observation lounge car "Omaha Club" which many Q fan
trip riders will remember. These were all moved several years ago from
a park along the River adjacent to the expressway to the museum station
facility. They have other RR equipment also displayed there as well as
inside exhibits and, I believe, a model RR.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM