Re: [CBQ] Signal Bridge at East End of Savanna Yard

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Signal Bridge at East End of Savanna Yard
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:28:09 -0600
Geez, Glen, don't you have the name of the firstborn of the daughter of the
steel gang foreman that erected the bridge?
It is amazing the information that we collectively can come up with on this
list!!!
Charlie Vlk

> In the meantime, here is a description of what I do know.  The signal
bridge was at MP 143.79, and is described as a 5 track, 10 panel Kenwood
design (lattice truss).  I believe there were only 4 tracks under the
bridge, but it was within the lead of the yard, which may explain why a
longer bridge was used.  I can't find the original date, but a CB&Q drawing
exists from June 1919, in which it may have been dismantled from somewhere
else, and erected at Savanna.  My notes indicate it was still in place in
1966, but may not have survived until merger.

> The bridge is 79'-6" between centers of towers.  The truss is 8' high x 8'
wide, with 9 panels varying from 8'-0" to 8'-4" and one panel 6'-6".  The
towers are 12" channels and are 32' high, so there is 24' clearance from the
pedestals to the bottom of the truss.  The main truss angles are 6" x 6",
other lateral angles probably 3" x 3".  There are four crossframes, two
panels in from each tower, and four panels in from each tower.  The
pedestals are solid one piece concrete, and probably were 3' x 11'.

> The sketch will show the orientation of the truss and tower laterals.  I
believe the ladder was on the river side, and the 6'-6" panel was on the
yard side.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM