[CBQ] CB&Q XM-3A and XM-3B boxcars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q XM-3A and XM-3B boxcars
From: "thommack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:53:48 -0000

Anyone know of good models of the XM-3A or XM-3B double door boxcars?
I have two E&C Shops CB&Q boxcars that are marked as 50' PS-1 Double
Door Boxcars. They are numbered and lettered as XM-3B's (according to
Spoor's Color Guide the main lettering difference was that the XM-3A's
were lettered "Cushion Underframe" while the XM-3B's were lettered
"Hydraulic Cushioning"). Here's my dilemna:

1. It looks like E&C used the same picture as found in Spoor's Color
Guide as a painting guide, but didn't realize the car in the picture
was a badly weathered Chinese Red car, not a boxcar brown car - hence,
the E&C car although nicely lettered is the wrong color!

2. The picture of the XM-3A shows two grab irons at the "A" end of the
car, whereas the XM-3B has a short ladder at the "A" end. Anyone know
if all the XM-3B's had the ladders, whereas the XM-3A's had grab
irons? (The E&C Shops car has grab irons, so it looks closer to the
XM-3A in the Color Guide.)

3. Does anyone make the proper decals for lettering a XM-3A or XM-3B?
If so, I may just shoot these cars Chinese Red and re-letter them.
Another option might be to try to make them look HEAVILY weathered and
faded, but I'm not sure I can pull that off considering the brown
paint. Otherwise, they'll probably be sold.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM