[CBQ] Painting horizontal stripes over vertical ribs?

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>, "BNlist@yahoogroups.com" <BNlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Painting horizontal stripes over vertical ribs?
From: Jan Kohl <kohlj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:15:16 -0500
Sorry for the crosspost, I'm hoping that some of the adept modelers in
here will have already solved this problem...

I'm wanting to model a covered hopper that has 2 horizontal stripes
going down the side...but I can't think of a good way to do it.  If you
use tape or a cardboard stencil, overspray will shoot out of the sides
where the tape or stencil doesn't lay all the way down because of the
vertical ribs.  If you try laying the tape over each rib, one at a time,
it usually won't stick very well and getting it straight is a major
pain.  Decals have the same problem.  I've considered creating a stencil
from a piece of balsa and filing grooves for each rib, but that seems
rather laborious...

...any ideas?  I'm trying to model this car:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/ptlx14367.jpg

Cheers!
--

*::: computer security consultant :::*