Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2320

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2320
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:02:59 -0600
John,

To the best of my knowledge, Q and many other RRs, never applied
doghouses to their locomotive tenders. In most cases, the headend
brakeman was accommodated in the cab and, certainly, the square cabs on
the earlier 2-10-4s appear to have had enough room. Those with the
sloped front may have been a little tighter, When the hudsons were used
in freight service in later years, a small alcove was added to the back
wall of the cab on the fireman's side to accommodate an additional jump
seat. I think the the law required a seat, it did not specify how large
that had to be! Seat boxes on most steam locomotives were usually
pretty utilitarian compared to most modern diesels. On the O-1a mikes,
I am sure that the seats for both the fireman and head brakeman were
quite small because of the narrow space. I once rode in the cab of O-5
#5626 and it had a full seat for both the fireman and the head
brakeman, but that was a large cab.

Of the major RRs in steam days, the Pennsy and the D&RGW were the
primary users of dog houses. Most others found a way to accommodate the
head brakeman in the cab.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM