[CBQ] Re: Pioneer Zephyr Radiator Grill

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Pioneer Zephyr Radiator Grill
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:35:05 -0600
Loren,

I recall reading in one of the several Zephyr books that the shape of
the cooling air grill on the Pioneer Zephyr was dictated by the size or
design on the radiators used on that power unit. From 9901 and later,
different radiators were utilized which allowed the windows to be
straight across the top. Why they did upgrade ratoators and the design
during the wreck repair, I don't know. However, after the Napier, MO
wreck, which severely damaged the power unit, Budd  built a new front
portion of the power unit carbody for application by the Aurora Shop. I
am sure that they used the original drawings rather that try to modify
the unit. I remember that they built the new portion in very short
order. As I recall, the train was only out of service for a couple of
months.

 From my own standpoint, I glad they did that as she still looks
original.

Bill Barber