[CBQ] Interesting Find by Hol

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Interesting Find by Hol
From: "Dave Lotz" <dave_lotz@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:29:32 -0600
As part of the research for my current book project on the first 10 years of
the C&S, I am reading newspaper microfilm at the Denver Public Library and
Colorado Historical Society.  I'm working my way through 1904 at the moment,
and I came across a couple of Burlington items that I thought might be of
interest to members of the list, as they certainly were to me.  One of them
comes as a complete surprise, and any verification would be most welcome.
Both appeared in the Denver Times.

Jan. 16, 1904: "The Burlington has issued orders that no more Sheridan or
Cambria coal will be used by engines between Edgemont, S.D., and Omaha. Coal
from the mines of Louisville, Colo., which is of a finer grade, is to be
used instead, materially increasing the market for that product."

May 2, 1904:  "The Burlington railroad has shipped several of its old
locomotives from Newcastle [Wyo.] and from points west to New York, where
they will be shipped to Russia, agents of that country buying them for use
on the Siberian road.  The engines are all in good condition, but are too
light for the tonnage required."

Note: The war between Russia and Japan was ongoing, so the Trans-Siberian
was undoubtedly in need of additional motive power.  It was, however, a
5-foot-gauge road, so standard gauge locomotive would have had to have their
wheels pressed out 1-3/4 inches on each side, or extremely wide tires
applied.  This conversion could probably have been successfully undertaken
on old 4-4-0s with no outside valve gear and the main rod coupled to the
first driver, but it would have been problematic on newer locomotives and
those with the main rod connected to any but the first driver.  And 1904
being the year of the complete renumbering of all Burlington system
locomotives, it is likely that the locomotives sent to Russia were never
given new numbers.  Any thoughts?

Hol Wagner

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM