Re: [CBQ] CB&Q R-1 2-6-2

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q R-1 2-6-2
From: Ken Martin <kmartin@cwia.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:53:11 -0800
Railbass,

I hate to rain on your parade but if you recheck Corbin you will see the
R-2's were all changed into G-8 switchers by 1925. It was the G-8's that
lasted into the '50's. Still if you want to run it have a blast, it's
your RR. I use mine to pull a "1910" period train.

The G-8 was inported by Oriental in '87. but it would be wery difficult
to backdate as the firebox was changed.

Ken Martin

railbass@comcast.net wrote:
> I just acquired a unique Q HO model - an R-1 2-6-2.
I don't even know who made it, as there is nothing on the box
except road name and type and "G series."   I model the CB&Q,
C&S, and D&RGW in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Corbin's Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route says that the
R-1s were retired by 1933, after two were rebuilt into 0-6-0 switchers.
Some of the R-2s, which were built to similar dimensions as the R-1s, w
ere kept until the late 1940s and early 1950s (7 were sold for scrap in
1951).
Does anyone know of any photos of R-2s in the late 1940s?
The model looks as it may have come from the West Burlington shops in
1900.
I would like to detail it to the late 1940s, just before retirement.
Also, does anyone know where the last R-2s, all numbered in the 1700
series,
operated just before retirement?   This will make an interesting project.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM