RE: [CBQ] End of year musing

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] End of year musing
From: "Dave Lotz" <dave_lotz@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:41:20 -0600
Fellow CBQ Listers,

Jonathan is correct, we did poll the CBQ list to try to determine how many
BRHS members were list participants.  Unfortunately, the survey was less
than conclusive.we only received 97 responses and I know there are more than
97 BRHS members on the CBQ list of 700 members.

Prior to this year's annual meet and again in Galesburg, the BRHS board
asked me if an "Official" BRHS list could be established.  I said that it
could be and that I would be happy to get it set up, but they would need
someone else to moderate it.  The recent conversation threads and
accusations over how much control/influence John & I have over the topics,
the participation in the discussions and "play" these topics get was a major
incentive for me to start the new BRHSlist and move all BRHS discussions
there.

Having the new BRHSlist be a "BRHS Members Only" list is the desire of the
BRHS board - and you will have to direct your questions about this decision
to the BRHS board members.  The decision to ban BRHS topics from the CBQ
list is mine.  Yes, your concerns that doing this will eliminate a source of
BRHS promotion and new members are valid.  However, once the BRHSlist is
functional, the CBQ list will not promote or criticize anything BRHS.

Some will say that this is a knee-jerk reaction to what has happened on the
CBQ list, but it is what it is.  I'll admit that I was extremely frustrated
at the progression of the threads following Mr. Elliott's posting and
angered with the results of the calendar thread, but as time has passed, so
has my anger.  If I were on the BRHS board I would have handled both
situations very differently, but then, I'm no longer in that position of
responsibility by choice and am not interested in doing so again any time
soon.  Someday, the reasons behind this choice may surface, but now is not
the time.

I have continued to serve as the VP of Archives because I believe in the
BRHS's mission, and am working to fulfill a personal goal I have for the
archives.  Those goals may be very close to realization and I'm hoping that
the differences in opinions and issues recently raised will not hinder our
progress.  Yes, there has been criticism of how I've handled the Archives,
but then, anybody in a leadership role gets criticized.  Yes, progress on
the archives has been slow, but there has been, and will continue to, be
progress.

Keeping everything in perspective is very important.  Keeping our purpose
and goals in sight and not being distracted by differences in personalities
or differences of opinions is also very important.  Communication,
understanding and flexibility are the keys to the BRHS's ongoing success.

Dave Lotz