Re: [CBQ] E unit nose stripes

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] E unit nose stripes
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:55:48 EST
The first order of E7's delivered in late 1945 had the small number boards,
starting with # 9916 A&B and ending with 9925 A&B, these motors had the 3 nose
stripes. Beginning with the second order of E7's in 1947 had the larger "F"
Unit number boards and these had the 4 nose stripes which was the norm through
the E8's and E9's.

Beginning with the E5's in 1940 the nose stripes were black, all of the
Burlington E units were delivered with black nose stripes. The red nose stripes
started appearing in 1959. I don't remember the first E unit to receive the red
nose stripes.

Some of the other railroads that had the early E's with the smaller number
boards refitted their units with larger number boards. The PRR comes to mind
however the Burlington did not replace the small number boards I've often
wondered why.

Loren Johnson