[CBQ] Re: E unit nose stripes

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: E unit nose stripes
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs2@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:57:10 -0000

Larry,

The 3 stripe E-units were E7's with "small" number boards, so the
stipes were designed to fit around them. The 4 stripe E-units were
the E7's and E8/9's with the "large" number boards. That was
basically the only rhyme/reason for the number of stripes that a
unit wore.
The red or black color had more to do with when a unit was shopped
for repairs. the red color was adopted by the "Q" in 1958 with the
order of the new SD-24 road switchers. So after then, when an E-unit
was in the shops, if any painting was to be done, the stipes were
most likely re-painted red.
I hope this helps. More info and pictures of the E-units can be
found in Bulletin #10 from the BRHS. Unfortunatly, that issue is out
of print I believe (go to burlingtonroute.com and check out the
company store to be sure). Also I'm  sure that there are many more
guys here that will also answer this post.

Have a great New Year.

Greg Koon
Minnesota