[CBQ] CB&Q B-1A 4-8-2 Mountain locomotives

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q B-1A 4-8-2 Mountain locomotives
From: "rgilstrom" <rgilstrom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:17:44 -0800
I am normally an N-scale CB&Q modeler, but I recently got an opportunity to
acquire an HO Overland Models, Inc. CB&Q B-1A 4-8-2 Mountain at a price I
couldn't refuse (box destroyed by water and partially taken apart but
complete). Before I take on painting it and creating a train in HO I have a
few questions that hopefully someone on this list can answer.

1. In Burlington Route Color Pictorial volume 1 there is a picture of #7020
with an oil tender. Does anyone know where I can find drawings or a better
picture of the oil tender so I can convert my model from coal?

2. Did the cab roof on the Mountains ever get the oxide red roof coating?

3. The painting color guide on the BRHS website says to use Floquil graphite
for the smoke and fire box, but all the picture I've seen look to be more
silver than graphite. Any other color suggestions?

4. Microscale decals come with Gold and Imitation Gold letters & numbers.
Which is correct for this engine? Is the engine number on the rear of the
tender and if so, where and what size?

5. Were the bell, whistle or any other appliances brass or was everything
painted black?

6. The only pictures I've seen show the Mountains stand alone or pulling a
train of heavyweight passenger cars. Did they ever pull freight or
lightweight passenger cars?

7. What territories were the Mountains typically assigned to?

8. Which trains did they pull? For passenger trains, how many cars and what
types in a typical train? I don't feel I need to model a specific train.

9. When were most of them scrapped?

10. I'm going to put DCC in it to run on my clubs layout. Does anyone have
any suggestions as to which sound decoder to install?

Best regards,
 Robin

                                       /'~'\
                                      ( Q Q )