[CBQ] End of year musing

To: <CBQ@YahooGroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] End of year musing
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:45:50 +1300
Dear List friends

I started this posting to comment on the Calendar issue, and decided to go a
little further whilst I had the chance.  I wanted to observe that the BRHS
Calendar actually covers 13 months, and if you turn over from December, you'll
find January 2005 already there, with a photo of the combined North Coast
Limited and Empire Builder from December 1969.  Or, at least I 'm guessing it
is a combination.  My calendar is pinned to the wall in front of my desk at
work not as a calendar (I've plenty of other devices for showing me that
Christmas Day was going to fall on a Saturday this year) but as an excuse to
display a variety of excellent CB&Q pictures in the office.  When I need an
escape from the mundane, I glance up and feast my eyes on a touch of history.
You can send me the 13 photos from the Calendar without the dates and I'd be
happy! And if it doesn't arrive by the end of January, I'm quite content to put
up the 1999 one again - the dates are the same!

It's been a funny sort of a year on the List.  We've seen the welcome return to
active service of a number of experts who have traditionally shared their
knowledge and expertise over the years, and the continuing participation of the
List stalwarts.  We've seen new names appear at the bottom of postings most
weeks.  We've had old subjects resurrected such as the SD-45 paint schemes, Run
Throughs, and the width of the name boards on particular cars, and seen some
new subjects such as Switchstands and Part/Pattern Numbers.  There were lengthy
discussions on CZ Domes and Harlem Avenue Station, but very little from either
the List Owner or Moderator so we must have behaved ourselves.

I'd like to thank all those List members who have shared their ORER and other
resources with me this year, singling out Gerald for his continued support and
encouragement.  I am very optimistic that the Freight Car Rosters 1885-1970
will be completed and published soon.

My personal highlight of the year was visiting the U.S. in April in time for
the BRHS Spring Meet.  I must express my thanks to all the members who made
that weekend so enjoyable for me.  To Rich, Dave, John, Randy, Dan and Ed, and
the staff at IRM and Stratholm Library, my deep gratitude to all of you for
accommodating, wining and dining me during the trip. This was typical American
hospitality at its best.  It is a shame that much of the world sees only events
abroad and not the American at home.

I was saddened though by the public attack on Hol Wagner over events that were
alleged to have happened more than 15 years ago.  This was followed by the
accusation posted to both the CBQ List and to the Q List that he was failing to
respond to the allegations when he wasn't even a member of the List.  I must
declare a personal interest at this point - I joined the BRHS more than 20
years ago as a result Hol's reply to a query I had on Chinese red paint, and he
continues to answer my queries.   When I look at what Hol has achieved for the
Society members through his work on the Bulletins, and the way he has brought
to life a railroad that disappeared 15 years before I had even heard of it, I
find it bizarre that this has occurred.  What was even more bizarre was the
blaming of the current Board for the situation and demanding explanations,
especially as the BRHS does not own or operate the CBQ List. It is ironic that
2004 was the year that the List name was changed from BRHS to CBQ, for this
singular reason!

Whilst I deprecate these actions, I must note that three positives that
resulted.  Firstly a new interest in creating an electronic archive of CB&Q
material,  secondly that it jolted me into upgrading my membership to
Sustaining after all these years, and thirdly knowing that some of the knockers
will be putting themselves forward to undertake BRHS work once they have joined
the Society.

My warmest regards for the New Year, hoping that it will bring a little more
peace to the world than this last one managed.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM