[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Runthrough Information December 23rd Update

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Runthrough Information December 23rd Update
From: "Ed DeRouin" <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:41:56 -0000

Pat and Others:

As far as I know, the CB&Q had motive power run through
agreements with UP, GN, DRG&W, NYC, PRR, and EL.

The first pool was, as you noted, with UP via the Grand Island
'gateway'. This lasted into the BN era. The DRG&W was not
really a pool as engines were not intermixed. It was really a run
through agreement. The NYC pool was originally Elkhart-St.Paul,
but variations occurred. The PRR pool ws in response to the
pool with NYC, both eastern roads wanted to reduce time around
Chicago by pre-blocking and pooling. This pool operated until
the PC era and was terminated for good reason by the Q. I
understand that 'good' Q units would wander the east and fuel
starved and maintenance deprived engines were sent west. As I
understand events, the EL pool grew from the PC situation. Of
course, the EL run throught are well documented.

The GN run through existed in to distinct times and places. The
first was a freight operation in roughly 1960-1963 that saved time
in the Twin Cities. It had a twofold purpose to reduce time up
north and help the Q with a motive power shortage. The second
was a brief experiment on the passenger side. Q E units ran
through on the Empire Builder to Harve, MT. I have seen shots
published that show a GN F B unit between the Q E9s at Havre.
Personally, I never witnessed a GN unit in Chicago in that pool. I
do not know of the time period. I have no other infomation.

The Q did lease foreign power. NP and GN units were involved.
Again, I have nothing else on that.

As far as I know, the Q did not pool with or lease from B&O, ACL,
SAL, SLSF, or SP. I have seen DGR&W, SSW, and SP F units run
their last trip east to McCook working in Q trains. Perhaps the
final kWh was a trade for a tariff.

Could that ACl/SAL rumor be based upon former Q VO1000's
being leased by GE to SCL?

Just my $0.02.

Merry Christmas,

Ed DeRouin

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "pcv333" <pcv333@y...> wrote:

>      I've been doing more research on CB&Q runthrough
operations during its
> last decade of existence.  Here is some information from a
Morning Sun all
> color book titled Erie Lackawannna In Color Volume 1: The
West End:
> According to "the Erie Lackawanna classification guide from
1967  [trains] NY-
> 99 and Q-99 operate as components of a through train
connection with the
> Burlington Railroad. Locomotives operate between Croxton
and St Paul."
> The book goes on to say that the eastern terminus for these
EL/CB&Q
> runthroughs was Huntington, IN, despite the fact that CB&Q
locomotives often
> operated all the way to the east coast (Croxton Yard in New
Jersey).  By 1974,
> the yard at Huntington, IN had been downgraded and the
eastern terminus for
> the BN/EL runthrough trains was moved to Marion, OH.
>
>      Another Morning Sun all color book I have is Pennsy Diesel
Years Volume
> One.  On the top of page 75 is a picture of a PRR GP35, #2264
leading three
> CB&Q engines, a GP20, #934 and two GP40's, #'s 171 and
187 on a WB
> freight at Horseshoe Curve in September 1967. The caption for
this picture
> doesn't specify if the CB&Q units are present because of a
runthrough
> arrangement or if they are on lease to the PRR.
>
>      Thanks to the other people on this list that confirmed that
CB&Q had
> runthrough operations with NYC and DRGW.  Of course,  it's
well known that
> CB&Q had runthrough operations with UP.   This posting
confirms that CB&Q
> had runthrough operations with EL.  As I stated in an earlier
posting, other
> railroads I thought CB&Q may have had runthrough operations
with were B&
> O, PRR,  ACL, SAL, SLSF,  GN, NP, and SP.  At this point, I can't
yet confirm
> either way if any of the railroads just mentioned did indeed
have runthrough
> operations with the CB&Q.  Finally, I will keep other CB&Q fans
on this list
> posted if I find and can confirm any more CB&Q related
runthrough

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM