[CBQ] CB&Q Runthrough Information December 23rd Update

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q Runthrough Information December 23rd Update
From: "pcv333" <pcv333@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:45:24 -0000

     I've been doing more research on CB&Q runthrough operations during its
last decade of existence.  Here is some information from a Morning Sun all
color book titled Erie Lackawannna In Color Volume 1: The West End:
According to "the Erie Lackawanna classification guide from 1967  [trains] NY-
99 and Q-99 operate as components of a through train connection with the
Burlington Railroad. Locomotives operate between Croxton and St Paul."
The book goes on to say that the eastern terminus for these EL/CB&Q
runthroughs was Huntington, IN, despite the fact that CB&Q locomotives often
operated all the way to the east coast (Croxton Yard in New Jersey).  By 1974,
the yard at Huntington, IN had been downgraded and the eastern terminus for
the BN/EL runthrough trains was moved to Marion, OH.

     Another Morning Sun all color book I have is Pennsy Diesel Years Volume
One.  On the top of page 75 is a picture of a PRR GP35, #2264 leading three
CB&Q engines, a GP20, #934 and two GP40's, #'s 171 and 187 on a WB
freight at Horseshoe Curve in September 1967. The caption for this picture
doesn't specify if the CB&Q units are present because of a runthrough
arrangement or if they are on lease to the PRR.

     Thanks to the other people on this list that confirmed that CB&Q had
runthrough operations with NYC and DRGW.  Of course,  it's well known that
CB&Q had runthrough operations with UP.   This posting confirms that CB&Q
had runthrough operations with EL.  As I stated in an earlier posting, other
railroads I thought CB&Q may have had runthrough operations with were B&
O, PRR,  ACL, SAL, SLSF,  GN, NP, and SP.  At this point, I can't yet confirm
either way if any of the railroads just mentioned did indeed have runthrough
operations with the CB&Q.  Finally, I will keep other CB&Q fans on this list
posted if I find and can confirm any more CB&Q related runthrough
information.

                                                                 -Patrick
Vana/Omaha, NE

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM