[CBQ] California Zephyr in KC

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] California Zephyr in KC
From: SilvrDome@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:55:31 EST
Bill,

I have to politely disagree about the photo on display in Union Station.
Next time you are at Union Station look closely at the photo, at the pre-war
RPO
directly behind the last F3A.  It has two letter boards below the belt rail,
as did "Silver Mail" and "Silver Sheen" (Silver Mail was assigned to the KCZ).
A pre-war baggage car has only one, as does a post-war CZ baggage car.
Looking at the photo it is difficult to see the 2 small windows for the RPO
employees, but you can clearly see the second letter board which would read

"United States Mail
Railway Post Office"

The lighting is correct for a mid-day departure of #35.  Also, a exhibition
tour of spanking new CZ equipment would not likely include a pre-war Chair
Coach.  But it's inclusion in the consist behind the RPO is consistent with the
KCZ.

During floods the CZ did visit on occasion both North Kansas City and Cameron
I have been told. I would not doubt that a detour could take it near KC Union
Station, I am pretty sure that the display photo is my favorite Zephyr, The
Kansas City Zephyr #36.

I remain open to discussion it is otherwise!

Have a good weekend.

Hubert

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM