Re: [CBQ] Walthers Heavyweight Paint Scheme (Was - New Pullman Cars Comp

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Walthers Heavyweight Paint Scheme (Was - New Pullman Cars Comparison)
From: rgortowski@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:51:38 EST
I've learned to "never say never", but to the best of my knowledge,  the
Walthers Burlington heavyweight sleepers are not painted  correctly.
Burlington
leased back its heavyweight sleepers to Pullman  after the 1948 divestiture and
did not take the "PULLMAN" off the  letterboard as long as the car was still
in Pullman lease.  Also, unlike  some other railroads, the Q  did not
"sub-letter" the ends with the word  "BURLINGTON" or "CB&Q".  The car simply
had
"PULLMAN" on the  letterboard and the car name under the window band.

When a heavyweight sleeper was removed from Pullman lease, the Q painted
over the "PULLMAN" and left the letterboard completely blank.   They usually
painted out the car name and lettered it with a small  "CB&Q" and a car number
where the name originally went, though I have  seen a few examples of the car
name not being painted over.  There are  several photos that illustrate these p
aint configurations in Mike Spoors  "CB&Q Color Guide to Freight and Passenger
Equipment" in the sleeping cars  section (pg 28).

The appearance of the car is dependent on what year you are modeling and if
the car was still in Pullman lease at the time.  I have seen photographic
evidence of cars still in Pullman lease in the mid-sixties with "PULLMAN" on
the
letterboard and a car name below the window band.  I have never  seen a
photograph of a Q heavyweight sleeper with "BURLINGTON" in the  ribbon-style
lettering as depicted on the Walthers cars.

This does not apply to diners, certain lounges, and observation cars, which
did have "BURLINGTON" in ribbon-style lettering on the letterboard.  This
applies only to the heavyweight sleepers.  Again, there may be exceptions  to
this, but I have never seen a photograph to back up the Walthers paint  scheme.

I have plenty of photos of heavyweight sleepers painted in one of  the two
ways I have described above.

Rich Gortowski

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM