[CBQ] Re: C&S Oil Burners

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: C&S Oil Burners
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:52:12 -0800
John -

What other (steam) power are you planning for your re-creation of the
"transitional" C&S? I'm curious especially about smaller engines, e.g.,
their ubiquitous consolidations, and how you are going to handle that,
given the lack of any really accurate models. When the Spectrum 2-8-0s came
out some years ago, I thought about getting one as a stand-in, but the
Baker valve gear was too much of a turn off and I figured it probably would
be a lot of work to replace. But maybe not. Anyway, I was wondering about
more basic things like the wheelbase of the Spectrum 2-8-0 as well as that
engine's overall length, boiler and driver diameter -- the sorts of things
that no amount of tinkering can easily fix. Have you looked into this or
other possible starting points? or do you have any other neat suggestions
for plausible conversions from anything that's currently available?

Best wishes. I admire your choice of prototype and era.
Jonathan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM