Re: [CBQ] C&S Oil Burners

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] C&S Oil Burners
From: "Bob Yarger" <ryarger@rypn.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:29:10 -0500
The USRAs were always coal burners, primarily used south of Denver.  No. 902
was the first converted to oil, in 1947 when it was leased to the FW&D.  Nos
900 and 903 were converted in 1953.  As far as I know, Nos. 901 and 904
always burned coal.  Of the E5Cs, 913 burned oil for about five years in the
early 1930s while leased to the FW&D, but was reconverted upon return.  The
912 spent a brief period in the late-1940s burning oil on the north end.
The 911was converted to oil in 1950 and I presume remained as such.  The
rest stayed coal burners until the end.  All this from Hol Wagner's C&S
book.

Bob Yarger, Editor
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org