[CBQ] Re: Black Hills

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Black Hills
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:01:05 -0000

I have all the books, the BRHS Bulletins & the C&NWHS pubs on Black
Hills mentioned to this point.  That said, in my opinion only, if
your budget allows you to buy but one item, spend the $$$ on a good
copy of the ORIGINAL Fielder version of "RR's of the Black Hills"
(Superior Publ. "64) as the later Bonanza reprint has 'washed out'
photos.  I was stationed @ Rapid City (Ellsworth AFB) in "73-74 so
familiar with the area as it relates to the books (have been back
several times).  The Fielder book on the Black Hills mines (her
husband was a P.E. @ Homestake) covers several served by the Q
including one used on a BN calender (Standby Mine So of Rochford). It
also pays to buy a couple Geological Survey maps of the area as show
grades, mines, tunnels, etc relative to the R-O-W (of course I don't
know how old the maps are that they have @ Black Hills State College
in Rapid City as the Fed's do update those but they are among the few
places to be an official repository.  Their library has some
interesting items relating to the Q as well (ck out the bibliography
of Fielder's books).

Don't recall if mentioned but one of Hol Wagner's "BN Motive Power"
annuals also had a good feature on the Q/BN op's in the Hills.  There
are also 2 OLD books (very scarce) by Gillette & "El Comancho", both
ex-Q emp's who include the Black Hills & the Q.  Come to Dubuque for
BRHS annual meet in Sept "05 & I'll bring them along.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM