[CBQ] CB&Q Operations Questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q Operations Questions
From: "thommack" <mack@chmack.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:04:01 -0000

I've been reworking my CB&Q schedule for trains through Savanna on
my layout. Based on ETTs and the BRHS Operating Data Sheets (ODS)
book I've come up with a few questions, especially in regard to
prototype operations on the CB&Q. I hope this will generate some
really good feedback from everyone familiar with operations to
benefit everyone who models the Q, so if you have ANY knowledge on
the topic, how about joining in! I won't post all the questions at
once, but here goes:

According to the ODS Many trains (e.g. 82 and 90 from Twin Cities to
Chicago) changed tonnage rating in Savanna. Apparently these trains
might need more or less power due to different grades, etc. between
TC and Savanna vs. Savanna to Chicago. Clearly, if a train needed
less power, it was optional to drop power. But if a train needed
more power, it would seem that locomotives would be added in Savanna
(unless there weren't any, but then a train might have to double
grades). This brings up the following operations questions:

1. Since most trains had a 1 hour layover in Savanna, were
locomotives just added to the existing locomotive lashup, or would
the inbound power be cutoff and replaced with another locomotive
set?

2. Just in general, what went on during a full hour with a CB&Q
freights?

a. Did power usually cut-off for servicing, or stay with the train
all the way through?

b. If the road power stayed with the train, did the road crew stay
with the train and actually do the drop off and pick-up of cars in
the yard, or were these added to the train by a switching crew?

Tom Mack

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM