[CBQ] re: patterns & foundries

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: patterns & foundries
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:46:11 -0000

The Q's brass foundry (which was what it was in last yrs) at Aurora
Shops was made into a commercial H.O. kit as I recall but
slightly "compressed" - anyone remember the model mfg?  The City of
West Chicago's RR museum has some Q patterns and either they or the
Aurora Historical Society museum (don't recall which) have one of
the Q's internal catalogs of castings & patterns.  I believe the
Newberry Library does too but am not at home to look at my copy of
their Q index.  I would make an educated guess the Q had their own
foundries at other locations in earlier yrs.  Miner being @ Batavia
obviously would have had some ties with Aurora being 1st town south
on the Fox River.  Q's pattern #'s show up on a lot of their
castings such as waycar marker brackets, brake diagram plates, etc
to name a few.
Most major RR's had their own foundrys at one time - a lot shown in
some of the trade publications of Mechanical Depts.
There was a commercial foundry in Batavia (West side of Fox as
opposed to Miner which is on East side) that was the northern
terminus of the branch that once ran from Aurora thru NIFA &
Mooseheart all the way to jct with C&NW in Geneva (until early
1900's).  Cut back now to NIFA but the foundry I am speaking of
(name escapes) supposedly did work for the Q as did one in No.
Aurora on the Aurora - W. Chicago branch.  Again, given the shops in
Aurora, it stands to reason they would have good working relations
with area foundrys in steam days.   Gerald

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM