[CBQ] FW: CB&Q M-4 2-10-4 'Clone' for Sale: B&LE 2-10-4 #643

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] FW: CB&Q M-4 2-10-4 'Clone' for Sale: B&LE 2-10-4 #643
From: "Dave Lotz" <dave_lotz@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:23:51 -0500
FYI?

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan S. Clark, Jr. [mailto:Internate1@msn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 7:58 AM
To: brhs@nsn.org
Subject: CB&Q M-4 2-10-4 'Clone' for Sale: B&LE 2-10-4 #643

Good Morning!

The Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's 2-10-4s were patterned after Chicago,
Burlington and Quincy's M-4 class.  This sole surviving engine and her kin
were arguably the most powerful 2-cylinder steam locomotives ever built.
This is also likely the only Texas-type that will be offered for sale in
2004 (please see attached link).  The price is now half what it was 4-5
years ago, but I have reason to believe that a donation to a suitable museum
might also be a possibility (I can elaborate further, if there is genuine
interest).

The owner poured a heap into restoring this engine.  He had new drawings
made by a nuclear pressure vessel engineer from Westinghouse Nuclear for
replacement pistons, which he then had cast and machined, a lot of boiler
and running gear work, plus more.  She has even moved under her own power in
a short test.  And, right down to the load of coal in her tender, she's all
dressed up and ready to go...but with nowhere to go.

Since she is a true and virtual copy of the CB&Q Ms that operated out of the
Southern Illinois coal fields (all of which were scrapped), I have long
believed that #643, cosmetically dressed as a Q 'M' with big 'Burlington
Route' tender logos and appropriate number, could be a prize ambassador for
BNSF to use in corporate celebrations (in lieu of the Milwaukee 4-8-4,
etc.).  Right now, she is just sitting in a falling-down lumber yard shed
near Pittsburgh.  What a tragedy for such a huge, historic, 2-cylinder steam
locomotive.  The engine would be a real crowd pleaser, whether operating or
as a static display.

The 'water bottle' was, I believe, an auxiliary tender from an L&N Big Emma
4-8-2.

Sincerely,

-Nate

---Nathan S. Clark, Jr., CM-AST&L

  136 St. Glory Road
  Greenville, PA 16125

  724-588-2636

http://www.railswap.org/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_displ
ay_db_button=on&db_id=4150&query=retrieval

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM