Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2192

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2192
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:21:08 -0500
Bob,

The 5626 and her train were running so late, that by the time we left
Wray, CO. it was almost dark. (We had a 2 1/2 hr. water stop at
Hastings, NE. where the local fire dept. did the honors since the RR
steam facilities were out of service by that date. The problem was they
used a 2 1/2 in. line and a large garden hose to fill the tender. The
water filling operation was so slow that the locomotive was using up
more water in the form of steam through the pop valves that the fire
dept. was putting: or at least, it seemed that way.) Since the cab ride
was mostly at night, and I had no flash, (Boy would I loved to have had
a modern video camera!), I took no pictures during that roughly two
hour portion of the trip.

As I recall, was also had no movie runs anywhere between Chicago and
Denver. However, I did take pictures at Lincoln, Hastings, and McCook.
I think I also have some photos of the locomotive after she broke down
37 miles east of Denver on the return trip. We had about a two hour
wait for two E units to come from Denver to replace the disabled 5626.
I will dig through my files in the near future and will post a couple;
or contact me directly if you have specific interests.

The 5626 was scrapped at Northwest Steel and Wire in Sterling, IL, I
believe, in 1960. I have a photo of her, stripped of all useable
material, (bell, headlight, etc.) coupled cab to cab with the 5627
enroute to Sterling.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM