Re: [CBQ] H&STJ History

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] H&STJ History
From: Ken Martin <kmartin@cwia.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:53:55 -0700
Roger
Assuming it is Portland, OH not OR by todays highways it is 300 miles to
Hannibal and 870 miles to Hiawatha, KS. At ten miles a day that would be
  three months to travel that.

Assuming that Portland OH had a railroad they could have taken the
train, however there would be reasons to not take the train and drive a
wagon. First taking the train with all your posessions would be
expensive. Then when you get to St. Joseph you would have to buy a wagon
and outfit it.

If you have a wagon you can load your possesions and maybe even herd a
couple head of cattle.

My grandparents moved from Iowa to Montana in 1917 and they drove a
Model T not taking a train. It cost money to move back then just like it
does today.

Ken Martin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM