Re: [CBQ] CB&Q branch line operation

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q branch line operation
From: "East Pass" <EastPass@19main.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:05:49 -0500
Mark,

Clearance form "A" would be issued at the origin station to
every train irregardless of what territory it was operating
on. This was the method used to issue whatever standing
Train Orders that were in effect at that time. This means
slow orders and the like.

In the CB&Q era Clearance form "A" did not give any train
any authority to go anywhere.

In CTC Main Track Authority is granted by signal indication.

In ABS or Unsignaled territory Main Track Authority can be
granted by either Timetable Schedule or Train Order.

If we are talking about your standard unsignaled branch line
there either may or may not be a schedule in the Timetable.
Depends upon the era.

If there is not schedule available movement by train order
would be necessary. For example lets make up a local that
could operate between Lincoln and Beatrice and return.
They would have to get Clearance Form "A" at Lincoln and
those train orders would remain in effect for their entire
tour of duty. Would move on CTC signal indication between
Cushman and Crete. Let's presume there are defined Yard
Limits at Beatrice. Would usually get two train orders
from Operator at Crete as follows:

Eng 264 Run Extra CTC Crete to Beatrice.

and:

After Extra 264 West Has Arrived at Beatrice Eng 264 Run Extra
Beatrice to CTC Crete.

In order to deliver these two Train Orders the Operator at
Crete would prepare another Clearance Form "A" with these two
order listed. The Clearance would have to be OKed by the
Dispatcher in a separate process. This would be a check that
all Train Orders addressed would be delivered.

Within the Yard Limits at Beatrice the 264 could move anywhere
it choose to at reduced speed. Only restrictions on movement
within yard limits would be a Main Track restriction if there
were scheduled First Class trains. In that case they would have
to clear the Main Track by the time the First Class train was
scheduled to leave the closest station or by at least five
minutes if that time was less.

Even if there was an Operator at Beatrice they would not be
involved in the Operational process for this train.

This is a simple example that presumes just a one train
operation. As you throw in more trains it gets more
complicated.

Russ