Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2103

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2103
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:13:34 -0500
Cc: bhirailsystems@charter.net
Tim,

Here is what I can provide. See notes within your message.

On Monday, July 5, 2004, at 04:31 AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>   Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:06:39 -0500
>    From: "Tim Mulina" <bhirailsystems@charter.net>
> Subject: Need Assistance for upcoming Quick Pic Book
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am in the final stages of pre-publication for the newest CB&Q Quick
> Pic Book and I need some input from the list to make sure that it is as
> accurate as possible.
>
> The book is on the O-5A/B class locomotives # 5608-5635 with the photos
> of the book focusing on #5629.
>

> Now here is where I need help from the list members please.
>
> 1- Are there any unique features of the Loco or tender I should make
> sure are shown?

> The front end shields covering the Worthington hot water pump was
> quite different on the second group of O-5s (nos. 5608 - 5620) from
> that on the third group. The oil bunker application may be of
> interest. The second group had open cabs while the third group had
> closed all weather cabs. The first eight, delivered by Baldwin, had
> Elesco feedwater heaters and, unique for Q, all welder tenders. All
> the later locomotives had riveted tenders.
>
> 2- I have so far come across 4 that are still in existence. Are there
> any others and if so where are they? Here are the 4 I know of so far:
>
> 5614 St. Joseph, MO
> 5629 Golden, CO
> 5631 Sheridan, WY
> 5633 Douglas, WY

Those are all that survived unfortunately.

> 3- Did they all get converted to oil burners? If not which ones were
> other than 5629?

Only six were converted to burn oil. They include 5614, 5620, 5626,
5627, 5629 and 5632. All others remained coal burners to the end. The
oil burners were all originally built as coal burners and converted in
the early 1950's probably during their last major shopping at Denver.
Only the oil burners were classed as O-5b. The O-5a class included any
that were equipped with roller bearing rods and main drivers.
Eventually, I believe that included the entire fleet of 36 locomotives.

> 4- What was the tender's coal capacity and was it ever increased after
> building by use of boards or other extensions to the top of the tender?

The tender capacities were 27 tons of coal and 18000 gals. of water for
the last group. I think it was the same for the other two groups. I
don't know what the oil capacity was. This info is per the Bernard
Corbin book on Q steam power. I don't believe the coal capacity was
ever increased

> 5- What was the normal operational area for these units?

Originally, Chicago - Twin Cities and Chicago - Denver on both freight
and passenger. They were true dual service locomotives. They usually
were assigned to the heavier passenger trains such as the Empire
Builder, as well as priority freight trains. I have a color slide that
my dad took of #5626 east bound at Downers Grove, IL on what appears to
be the Empire Builder. The photo was taken in June, 1940 when no. 5626
was 2 months old! Later, I know that O-5s ran to Alliance, NE and
probably worked into Kansas City either from the east or north. Even
though two are displayed in Wyoming, that was not a normal or even
occasional operating area and particularly for those two as they are
both coal burners.

> So you can have an idea of what I am doing in case you have not heard
> of
> or seen any of the Quick Pic Books, here are the pages on the two CB&Q
> books that are already in print.
> http://quickpicbooks.homestead.com/files/cbqstdgauge.htm
>
> Thanks for any assistance you are able to give.
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Tim Mulina
> BHI/Rail Systems

Good luck on the project. This is a neglected group of locomotives on
the Q from an information standpoint even though they were common and
popular. It is too bad that you can get more period photos and include
the whole fleet. Sunset's recent O scale model of the middle group of
locomotives incorporated some serious errors.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM