Re: [CBQ] U28/30B

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] U28/30B
From: "BRAD SLANEY" <bradslaney@wizard.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:08:02 -0700
Thank Ernie Potarf for the GEs.

BRAD
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: amtrak347@aol.com
  To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 10:56 PM

  Hi Russ -

  Not to be contrary (again) but I feel the locomotive model designation
  plates did serve a purpose to those who ran them.  Remember the Q  restricted
  various tracks by "class" of locomotive, going back into the steam  days.
Very few
  enginemen I knew at the time I hired-out in engine service  were "buffs" and
  thus couldn't tell one diesel loco model from the next without  the model
  designation plate.  It was generally understood that all classes  of F units
were
  "Graybacks" and all Chinese Red units were "Red Birds" (never  heard the term
  "Black Birds" for the original GP-7 paint scheme).  In Q  days, there was
very
  little documentation on each individual locomotive; 1.) a  ledger book
  (maintained in the cab) that recorded the "daily inspection" (date,  time,
location
  and signature of the person making the inspection) with  absolutely no
  reference to the "class" or model designation of the  locomotive and 2.) a
small
  metal box in the nose of the unit which  held 3" x 5" index cards each
specifying
  replacement of liners, heads,  injectors, battery service, etc.  I believe it
  was post 1970 merger, that  the CFR Rule 203 was established/changed and
  required that not only would a  "daily inspection" card be conspicuously
displayed
  on the locomotive, and  preferably in the cab of each unit, if so equipped,
it
  also required a  "blue card" be similarly displayed (most likely for the
  convenience of FRA  inspectors who had trouble "ID"ing loco models
themselves)
  upon which the  locomotive model designation and locomotive horsepower will
be
  indicated.   The "blue card" also had required test dates of various
appliances
  shown.   In the 1990s, the CFR was modified again and Rule 203 became Rule
229
  with a few  more additional requirements.

  Final comment: all GEs are JUNK!

  Bob Campbell

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM