[CBQ] OTHER suburban service?

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] OTHER suburban service?
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:48:43 -0700
The only commuter service I have ever seen discussed on this list or in
Burlington-related publications is in the Chicago area. Is that all there
ever was?

I ask because I know the Burlington operated that 3-foot gauge interurban
electric line between Lead and Deadwood, SD until 1924 or '25, and I
believe the early C&S narrow gauge also ran what were in effect suburban
trains out of Denver. So I have to wonder whether the Q or subsidiaries (at
least in the early 20th c.) had suburban or commuter trains in and around
any of the other large metropolitan areas they served: St.
Paul/Minneapolis? St. Louis? Kansas City? Denver? Fort Worth?

And if there was such service, was there also dedicated equipment for it?
Were any of the 7000 or 7100 series cars used, or were these "genuine"
commuter coaches confined to Chicago & burbs?

Jonathan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM