Re: [CBQ] switchstands

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] switchstands
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 23:24:04 -0500
Ken,

There is all kinds of odd stuff to be found there. How
about a page of "comfortable speeds" for CB&Q 9900 around
curves depending on the degree and superelevation?

I'm sure anyone who has been around has seen tie plates
used as shims to hold gauge in places where there is no
longer any "hold" in the normal spike holes. Was very
surprised to see that it was accepted practice and was
shown on a page.

The C&S set still has narrow and dual gauge switches and
even the proper dimensions for the rods to build a stub
switch.

Did you notice that the ever frugal CB&Q even specified used
rail for the runoff side of a split rail derail. Might save
four new rails that way. I can see some poor Roadmaster getting
chewed out because he did not find a few pieces of worn 100#
and the comp joints to go with it for his brand new 131# switch
point derail.

I can remember calling just about every storehouse on the BN
looking for IIRC 132# to 66# comp bars. They were in the catalog
but just could not be obtained. We did work it out with one
stage in between but even that was not easy. It got to the point
where we had lefts with no rights or rights with no lefts.

Russ