[CBQ] Re: LaBelle Baggage/Combine

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: LaBelle Baggage/Combine
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:47:57 -0700
Ben,

I'm assuming this is probably one of their Denver & Rio Grande Western
cars, which is mostly what LaBelle made, and still makes, in the way of
narrow gauge passenger car kits. Both the prototype combine and baggage car
survived to run on the present-day Durango-Silverton train. I've forgotton
the specific car numbers, but someone else on our list, like Ken Martin,
probably has them at his fingertips. To model either version prior to the
early 1950s, it should be painted Pullman Green with gold lettering and a
black roof. But for the past 50+ years (yikes!), the cars have been painted
bright yellow with a silver roof and black lettering. There are thousands
of images of the prototypes in books and scattered around the web. If
you're interested, I'll  rummage through my JPEGs and see what I can find
(write me off-list if you want me to send you some).

By the way, the aforemetioned Ken Martin has done a great job converting
some of these old LaBelle kits into models of specific Colorado & Southern
narrow gauge prototype cars (assuming you perhaps don't know, the C&Sng was
a CB&Q subsidiary which ran through some spectacular country up until the
late 1930s-early 1940s) -- just in case you might want to build something
with more of a Burlington connection (hint, hint).

Some of LaBelle's standard gauge passenger cars also make good starting
points for kitbashes into the CB&Q's older, wooden cars.

Happy modeling!
Jonathan

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511