Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Freight Symbol Question

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Freight Symbol Question
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:03:33 -0600
Ted,

Those symbols are connections at 55th Street but at
least as of Sep-66 CB&Q did not run a dedicated PRR
connection.  A little later they did try to run a
"QNY" with solid NYC traffic but it did not run on
any regular basis.

As of Sep-66 the book says the following Eastbounds
made the indicated connections at Chicago:

#66 Perishable not moving via IHB to AST4.
#66 Dead freight only for Conway and East to AC2.
[At this time this train did not normally operate East
of Lincoln. Traffic to either GI68 or LW68.]

LW68 connections the same as above.
[Train from Denver]
GI68 connections the same as above.
[Train from Grand Island UP]

#82 connected with both AST4 and AC2.
#88 connected with AC2.

Cutoffs:

AST4 Carload = 1100 & TOFC = 1000 at 47th Street.
     This would be for a 1201 departure.
[TOFC would be rubber delivery except on Sunday's]

AC2  Carload = 1100 for a 1300 departure.

During this period the basic plan was, if possible,
to get the Eastbound connections at Chicago delivered
with power furnished.

The EL,NYC,& PRR would each bring a large transfer over
in the early morning. As they made Local Agreements this
would be the road crew delivering. Power would go to the
Roundhouse at Clyde for servicing, trains would be humped.
The idea then would be to get two sets to Galesburg and
one set to Dayton's Bluff. Sometimes the trains followed
a pattern, sometimes they did not. Sticking to the PRR
that 55th Street cutoff would be made with a blocked
transfer as follows: Carload Perishable, Dead Freight
Conway and East, any other Ft Wayne line traffic.
Panhandle and Chicago proper traffic would be delivered
at 59th Street.

The 55th Street transfers from CB&Q would operate via
18th Street with yard crews that would cab back. The
idea was to somehow get road power on this train which
I would presume would be used on AC2 but as you can see
if PRR was short it very well might leave on AST2.

Nothing here is etched in stone. I can recall one night
when GI68 came in with D&RGW power and LW68 with UP
power. One night I had a A-B-A set of PRR GP9's picking
up at Congress Park.

I went in the Army in May of 1968. Up to that time, at
least, there was no Westbound run-thru from any road at
Cicero. All traffic was humped and power was used as was
thought expedient. Up to that time, with the exception of
a rare "QNY" I do not recall any train coming into Cicero
and going directly to a connection. As I think about it
that "QNY" may have actually been a BN innovation but I'm
just not sure.

Must qualify the above paragraph by mentioning that unit
trains of sand for the GTW and potash for the CI&L would
just change crews and go but the power almost always came
back light.

By the end of the 70's this whole deal had evolved into
the present structure of HP/Hours Agreements and the use
of any power, any where, at any time.

If anyone is still awake I'm done now,

Russ