Re: [CBQ] CB & Q switch stand No. 4

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB & Q switch stand No. 4
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:31:21 -0600
David,

Really do not understand your question.  While there
are lots of variations in recent years for safer working
condition most of the RR only has two styles of switch
stands. For Main Track turnouts there should be a high
switchstand with a lever at waist height that comes out
of a slot and you have to turn it and your body to get
it over to the other slot. Bad on the back but still
the standard. These are occasionally used in non Main
Track situations. Don't really know what you mean by
"modified".

These stands are not to be used on Main Track crossovers.

The other is the low switch stand where the lever sits
on a peg just above tie level and has to be lifted up
and over 90% to get it to the other side. Starting around
1990 these started to be replaced by the same design but
with a longer handle set at a 30% or 45% angle so you did
not have to bend over so far to throw the switch. The low
switch stands can be fitted with a high staff but the
target plan applies to that also.

The high switch stands can also be equipped with a folding
handle extension but this again is a recent change for
safety reasons.

Current standard calls for a 8" wide, 18" high target
installed with its top 2 5/8" from the top of the switch
stand. Supposed to be red for Main Track usage and yellow
for other than Main Track usage. Name or number of track
is supposed to be on it in Scotchlite letters. I do not
see any requirement that there be green Scotchlite on the
staff for normal movements, this could be a local thing.

CB&Q standard dated 29-Apr-48 calls for a 36" wide and 8"
high target mounted 2" beneath the bottom of the the lamp
tip which is about 5" high. The target was supposed to be
painted red on both sides and the mast was supposed to be
painted red on the target side and green on the "normal"
side where the target attaches.

There is also a CB&Q version that uses the base of the high
stand but with a much shorter staff. This would have the
targets designed for the low stand installed.

If possible the switch stand should be installed on the frog
side of the turnout. There are a number of brands that were
used and all have different lever arrangements but the target
stays the same.

Number 4 was pretty much the standard for CB&Q. It was
patented by CB&Q and probably made by Racor and others.
The number 4 was 7' 6 1/2" high from the tie to the top
of the lamp tip which would go a little ways into the
lamp.

Russ