Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 1981

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 1981
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 06:55:26 -0600
Florian,

Another side of the story is that CP 666 is normally
referred to as "Bradshaw" which is the station name
that is closest to it geographically.

A little "soapbox" here:

Constantly hear people complaining about Centralized
Management and all those dictatorial decisions made in
Fort Worth. In reality most of the time Fort Worth is
trying to adapt to decisions made in he field.

The Bradshaw situation is an example. On the Nebraska
Division they seem to be trying to eliminate station
names. Lot's of "Control Points" where station names
were once used.  On the other hand on the Southwest
Division newly installed Control Points are getting
named and most of the ones that have been installed
in the last few years have had their numbers changed
to names.

We were given drafts of the new operating timetable
and asked to review them. One of my pet peeves is
incorrect siding lengths on single track railroad.
Indianola NE is way off and I suggested a change or
told them to measure it.  Timetable is printed with
the same bad length. That was done at the Division
level. That also shows how little they value
experience. Some day someone will try and make a
good meet there with #5 or #6 and it will turn into
a sawby and they'll lose the train. Wonder who they
will blame for the $10,000 down the drain?  The
Dispatcher, of course. When he or she cites the
timetable as a reference the standard line is,
"You've got to know your railroad".

Train lengths in the mid 6000's are very common.
IIRC Indianaola shows as "6719". Since I knew it
was wrong over a period of a few weeks I tested
it with trains. In my "know the railroad" memory
area the true number is "6550". From a dispatching
standpoint that is a big difference.

Off soapbox and on to other things,

Russ