[CBQ] Re:Sound Recorder

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Sound Recorder
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:33:41 -0600
Mike,

I have had the pleasure of listening to many Q steam whistles in
regular service as well as on fan trips, and they sounded distinctive
and wonderful. However, placing a whistle on a different locomotive
doesn't always sound the same. Steam pressure plays an important roll.
Q's northerns, hudsons and M4's all operated at 250 psi, I believe. I
don't recall what Frisco's 1522's operating steam pressure was. I do
recall that there is a recording of a Q whistle applied to SP 4449
which did not sound good because the SP engine's steam pressure is 300
psi. The CD's jacket cover notes that problem.

BTW, someone else mentioned that there are CD recordings of actual Q
engines, mostly on fantrips. Be careful with these as foreign whistles
were often placed on Q engines in fantrip service. Illini RR Club's
president, the late Maury Klebolt, enjoyed experimenting and change.

There is a great recording of O-5 #5632 leaving Burlington, Iowa,
westbound on the CD "Sunday Only". However, the whistle is not a Q
whistle on that trip. I think it was an IC whistle, but I am not sure.
It had a "banshee" sound to me.

Bill Barber