[CBQ] Re: Thanks and Whoops

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Thanks and Whoops
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:38:16 -0800
Ed -

I've never felt you didn't enjoy this list or our discussions; I've always
valued your contributions, certainly in the case at hand. And I hope that
neither you nor anyone else confuses my love of vigorous discussion with
disrespect for the expertise or opinions of others.

No question the late 1960s were a difficult and traumatic time in general
for this country (though for me personally a much happier one than the
half-decades either before or afterwards), and they sure were awful for the
railroads in general, passenger trains in particular. It was painful to
watch, and for a time I just stopped and turned my interest toward other
things.

In retrospect, the sadness I felt has been tempered, like the death of an
old friend. What I'm left with is a feeling that I'm lucky to have been
born in time to have seen a little steam in real revenue service, to get to
ride the last interurbans out of Chicago, and to have had the chance to
ride a few Great Trains -- east and west. Wish I'd done more, but I'm
grateful for what I got.