[CBQ] Re: Digest Number 1975

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Digest Number 1975
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:05:34 -0000
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "blair kooistra" <wallcloud@m...> wrote:

> Hmmm. I'd hope that a manager in position to directing shipping of
a product
> would consider price, schedule, etc., in making a decision, not
nostalgia
> about a train removed years ago. Those kids today, what are their
choices,
> railroad wise? UP? BNSF?
>
> blair kooistra
> fort worth, texas
> whose maternal grandparents always rose UP CHI-DEN; paternal
grandparents
> always took the DZ.

That is assuming that they would even consider the options of looking
at rail transportation.  I think too many executives have the
misconception that rails are antidiluvian and outdated.

Right now, if you were to ask the average businessman about
railroads, he would probably tell you that they all are bankrupt and
would not even consider rail as an option.  (Although the people now
probably the most likely to be in a position to consider the rail
option are the truckers.  I believe that I read somewhere that some
truckers, for long hauls, have placed one trailer going to the same
destination that they are going on an intermodal train, and then,
after delivering the trailer they are carrying, picking up the rail-
hauled trailer and delivering it.  Perhaps this is a potential source
of more business for the railroads.  Just a thought.)

sjl