Re: [CBQ] Why I model the Q

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Why I model the Q
From: Harold Huber <sarge9usa@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:25:40 -0800 (PST)
All,

I suppose I'll weigh in and add my thoughts on this subject. Those of us that
lived in Wyoming, and I use that as north of the I-80 corridor all there was
was the Q.  My mother had the fore thought that passenger service was dying and
would soon be gone bought the three kids train tickets from Thermopolis Wyoming
to Bonneville Wyoming through the Wind River Canyon for our birthday.  So my
first train ride was on the Q.  In high school the Q provided a train from
Casper Wyoming to Cheyenne Wyoming for a football game and back.  This was only
offered to the Juniors and Seniors.  In 1962 the train had heavy weight cars
and a steam engine.  I remember very well as we passed through Douglas Wyoming,
a pickup tried to beat the train and was hit by the steam locomotive as it was
going to full speed we were stopped for a while and with no damage to the
locomotive we preceded on to make it in time for the game.  I was standing in
the open door of a baggage car (with a bar across the door)
 that was the snack bar when this happened.  Stuff was flying by etc.  The next
year the cars were heavy weights but a diesel locomotive.  When I was older I
used to go to the Bonneville station while deer hunting and get a soda and
candy bar.  Yes, I did get influenced by the UP we lived a while in Cheyenne
and the south side of the shops and a yard goat would drop its ashes about dark
across the road from our house (impressive display).  I heard stories from my
father a carpenter by trade of working on the bridge across the river on the Q
which is just north of the dam in the Wind River and how when the job was
finishing all workers seemed to lose their tools the last week cause the Q
would replace tools lost in the river. By the way I still own the hammer my dad
received from the Q on this job.  Sorry to say I became a model railroader
later in my life and my first modeling was strictly narrow gauge with Slim
Rails of Colorado Springs CO.  After retirement from the Army I moved to
 Sheridan WY and as I joke corrupted with the Q.  Yes, I model the area between
Bonneville, Wy and Lysite, WY, and Narrow Gauge up over Birds Eye Pas to a
small copper mining town of DePass and to Lost Cabin, WY where the headquarters
of narrow gauge empire is and on into Lysite.  So, to explain why I model the Q
I grew up with it and I have fond memories of it.

Harold Huber

Dugway, UT (absent from Wyoming)

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511