[CBQ] Re: Lou Menk

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Lou Menk
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:27:22 -0000
Sorry, Ed

The difference between Menk and the others was that he tried to kill
Burlington's passenger service, even to the point of intellectual
dishonesty.  Certainly he castrated the passenger department by
moving Wallace out of it.  And, despite the mathematical acrobatics
that Carpenter and Deming went through, they still could not show
their flagship trains did not meet their direct costs.

True, the passenger train would have failed anyway.  But it is not
ethical to try to kill a patient just because he is going to die
anyway.

P.S.: During the Menk years, I can personally attest to all the
passengers who were buying tickets, because I was one of them.

In 1966, I rode a 20 Car DZ east and later, westbound, my train had
23 cars.  So you can't tell me that people were not riding the DZ!
Sorry, Ed, I trust my own senses too much.

sjl