[CBQ] Fw: [The Frisco Club] Lou Menk

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Fw: [The Frisco Club] Lou Menk
From: okt@juno.com
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:35:09 -0600
From: KACHINainc@aol.com

In a message dated 2/21/04 10:20:17 AM, okt@juno.com writes:

<<
In a message dated 2/20/2004 7:36:56 PM Central Standard Time,
jimbarlow@worldlogon.com writes:

> ...Then today I realized that
> BNSF's hq address is 2650 Lou Menk Dr. in Ft. Worth.  Mr. Menk was prez
> of BN wasn't he?  Does anyone know his complete rail "pedigree"?

Garl's comments are pretty tough.

How well did HE know Mr. Menk personally?

I first met Lou Menk in the 40s when he was a trainmaster on the Frisco.

Over the years I followed his rise to suoerintendency asnd later
management
of the Frisco.

I always found him fair, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable about the
railroad industry.

Regardless of how some of us masy feel about the demise of rail passenger

service -- it was probably inevitable.  I can recall that when I traveled
on
business and went by rail I was admonished by colleagues who thought
flying was
far superior (altho extremely costly and at time terrifying).

During the years I was active in Southwest RR Historical Society and
assembling the Age of Steam Museum at Dallas State Fair Park I found Mr.
Menk very
helpful and willing to help us.

Perhaps Lew Menk wasn't the great proponent of rail passenger service --
but
tje work he did accomplish ranks him in the same category as other
proment
rail executives.

It is just too easy to be critical form a latter day and outside point of

view.

Dean Hale

(Terry -- inasmuch as I am not a member of the NP-Q-GN yahoo groups I
couldn't send to them. Perhaps you will forward. DH )

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511